Preventing Fires and Explosions training course with Certification
Learn how to Prevent Fires and Explosions via this easy e-learning course and get certified.
What is this course about?
Fires and Explosion hazards present themselves in almost all industries and especially so, in those sectors which handle hazardous materials that could be flammable and/or explosive. Managing these hazards to prevent fire and explosion is an integral part of Process Safety.
However, there are several ways in which the designers and owner/operators of these plants and facilities can prevent fires and explosions. This Abhisam course helps you learn all about preventing Fires and Explosions. This course assumes that you know all about the fundamentals of fires and explosions. If not, then you should first take the Abhisam Understanding Fires and Explosions course first.
Why should you learn about preventing Fires and Explosions?
As they say, prevention is better than cure. Once a fire starts or an explosion happens, there is not much that can be done. At best, the ensuing damage can only be contained (to some extent). Plants and facilities are not cheap, replacing them can be very very expensive.
Also the losses due to such accidents very often exceed the original cost of the investment.
Let that sink in. Yes, the loss due to fire or explosion in industry, can many times exceed the original cost of the asset and can threaten the existence of the company itself. This is unlike other assets where damage to the asset can be usually a percentage (less than 100%) of the original cost. Imagine a car that meets with an accident, say it hits a tree and there is damage to the doors, say. The cost of repairs will usually not exceed the cost of the car and at the most will be as much as the original cost, assuming you do not get any insurance payout.
Not so in the process industries such as Chemical or Oil and Gas. In case of a large fire or explosion, the damages can even exceed the cost of the original equipment because of the bad effects on people as well as the environment. Governments and other regulatory authorities can and many times do fine the company that owns the factory and these payouts can even bankrupt it.
The best thing is to hence prevent fires and explosions from happening in the first place altogether.
If you are in any way responsible for safety of any industrial facility (including plants, storage areas, warehouses) , then you must understand this subject very well. Or you may be working for a regulatory authority or a government agency in charge of industrial safety, or work as a building or factory inspector. In all these situations this course will give you a good background.
Earn a Certificate and an electronic badge that you can display online.
Featured Learner Review
“Easy course that explains everything in a concise manner. I was working as a Process Engineer and I was given additional charge of Health, Safety and Environment department. This course proved very useful to me to understand how fires and explosions can happen in the process industry. The course helped me understand the mechanisms of these phenomena easily. It also indirectly helped me prepare Standard Operating Procedures for batch processes, that took into account these factors.”
D. Kale, India
Who takes Abhisam courses?
Abhisam self paced e-learning courses are taken by learners from all over the world, including those from marquee companies like the ones below.
Key Benefits of the Abhisam Fires and Explosions Course
StandardFor one learner
- Course Duration: 20 hours of self paced learning (Earn 20 PDH)
- Access the course online 24/7 via any device for one year
- Exam & Certification for one learner
- Lifelong Valid Certificate
Get Trial Access to all Abhisam courses, including this Preventing Fires & Explosions Training course for $7. You will NOT be billed automatically after trial ends.
Table of Contents.
Please click the + sign to expand and see details of every module.
Note: the first module is free and can be accessed online from here.
* Fires & Explosions
* Hazards & Risks
* Hazard Potential
* Risk Equation
* Risks in the Process Industries
* Properties of Materials
* Fire or Combustion
* Fire Triangle Working
* Fire Triangle Legs
* Fuel Characteristics
* Concept of Flash Point
* Concept of LEL & UEL (LFL & UFL)
* Autoignition Temperature
* Heat of Combustion
* Comparison of Fuel Characteristics
* LEL & UEL
*Determining LEL & UEL for vapor mixtures
* Flash Point
* Auto-Ignition Temperature
* Correlation between various Flammability Properties
* Determination of flammable zones
Introduction to Oxidizers
* Limiting Oxygen Concentration (LOC)
* Example Calculations for LOC
* Flammability Diagram
* Sample Flammability Diagram
* Determining Flammable zones from the Flammability Diagram
Introduction to Ignition Sources
* Self Heating sources
* Adiabatic Compression
* Adiabatic Compression Calculations
* Determining Final Temperatures
* Determining Safe Compression pressures
* Introduction to Static Electricity
* Triboelectric Series
* Charge Accumulation- Contact & Frictional Charging
* Charge Accumulation – Double Layer Charging
* Charge Accumulation- Induction Charging
* Charging by Transport
* Electrostatic Discharge Process
* Spark Discharge
* Propagating Brush Discharge
* Cone Discharge
* Brush Discharge
* Lightning-like Discharge
* Corona Discharge
* Energy of Electrostatic Ignition Sources
* Energy of Spark Discharge
* Introduction to Capacitance
* Capacitor working
* Capacitor Discharge
* Accumulated Charge
* Charge Accumulation- Liquid Flow in pipeline
* Relaxation Time Calculations
* Streaming Current Calculations
* Resistance and Potential Difference
* Capacitance of commonly used equipment in process operations
* Calculation of Accumulated Energy
* Example Calculations- Product transfers from plant to storage
* Charge Accumulation during Solid Handling (Powders, Bulk Solids)
Mechanism of Explosions
* Introduction to Detonation & Deflagration
* Confined Explosions
* Explosion Characteristics
* Measuring Explosion data via tests
* Using Explosion Data
* NFPA Data for Gas Explosions
* Dust Explosions
* Gas Explosions
* Classification of Gases and Dusts
* Blast Waves
* Blast Damage & Overpressure
* Overpressure Estimation
* Example Calculations- TNT explosion
* TNT Equivalency Concept
* Example Calculations- TNT Equivalency
* Energy of chemical explosions
* Energy of Mechanical Explosions
* Isentropic Expansion
* Isothermal Expansion
* Vapor Cloud Explosion (VCE)
* Factors affecting Vapor Cloud Explosions
* Qualitative Studies- VCE
* Preventing Vapor Cloud Explosions
* Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosions (BLEVE)
* BLEVE Effects
The self assessment test enables you evaluate your own understanding of fires and explosions and other related topics. This also works like a mock test before you take the associated exam.
Just get this Understanding Fires and Explosions e-learning course today and for a much lesser price that you would be paying for any other course out there!
What will you learn in this course?
Prerequisite: Learners taking this course are assumed to be knowing how fires and explosions take place already. If you do not know this please take the Understanding Fires and Explosions course before taking this course.
In this course, you will learn about
- Use of flammability diagram
- Static Electricity
- Controlling Static Electricity
- Explosion-protected equipment and instruments
- Sprinkler Systems
- Design features for preventing Fires & Explosions
This course covers all the above topics and is an excellent way to quickly understand various types of fires and explosions that can occur in industry.
What does this course contain?
This course is in the popular Abhisam XPRTU format. This means that you will see a mix of text, animations, videos and pictures, real life examples and exercises that help you gain a deep understanding of the subject.
What does the $7 trial include?
The $7 trial includes trial access to ALL the courses in the Abhisam Catalog for a limited time.
After the trial is over you can choose to either buy an individual course OR subscribe to the GOLD or PLATINUM membership plans.
Your card will not be billed automatically.
Which versions are available?
This course is available as either stand alone (select the Standard version above) or as part of the Abhisam GOLD membership level. The Standard version allows you to access the course online from any device (PC/tablet/smartphone) that has an internet connection and a browser that supports HTML 5 (such as Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Opera, etc). You can access the course for a period of one year, within which you need to take the exam to earn a Certificate (electronic). You will also earn an electronic badge that can be displayed online on LinkedIn and similar portals.
What is the Abhisam GOLD membership?
When you subscribe to the Abhisam GOLD membership, you get access to all the courses in the Abhisam Catalog, by paying just one low monthly subscription. You can also get a free certification exam every month. If you are interested in taking a bunch of courses, then the GOLD membership gives you an affordable plan to do this. This is available to individuals only.
What is the Abhisam Platinum membership?
This is meant for organizations with multiple learners. When you subscribe to the Abhisam Platinum membership, your learners get access to all the courses in the Abhisam Catalog, by paying just one low Enterprise yearly subscription. You can also get a free certification exam every month. Additionally you also get a Dashboard where your Training Manager can see the progress of the learners, such as learner module completion, login times, test scores, etc.